Sunday, April 21, 2013

Bookplates


Bookplates have been around since at least the 15th century. I touched on them a bit when I did my blog on provenance, but I’d like to go more in-depth about them.

First and foremost, bookplates are an individualized way for the owner of a book to identify him or herself. But bookplates can also be works of art. Artists and engravers such as Albrecht Dürer, M.C. Escher, Paul Revere, Rockwell Kent, and Leonard Baskin have designed bookplates.

Hieronimi Ebner's bookplate by Albrecht Dürer

Rockwell Kent's bookplates

Bookplates can be created with a number of techniques, from the classic pen and ink to woodcuts, linocuts, metal engraving, etching, and even silk screening. It is common for these small-scale works of art to be hand printed on fine paper.

Both individuals and institutions can have bookplates. Notable people who have a personal bookplate include Queen Victoria, George Washington, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Sigmund Freud, Walt Disney, and Jack London. Institutions that are likely to have bookplates are public and private libraries, universities, law firms, and museums.

George Washington's bookplate

Walt Disney's bookplate

As part of this class, we were encouraged to design our own bookplate. Mine (so far) incorporates a stack of books, because I have always loved reading, and a cat perched on the stack that looks like my cat, because I love animals (especially my cat). I also want to incorporate a magnifying glass, because I love mystery novels, Nancy Drew, and I am a criminal justice major.

Semi-rough sketch/idea for my bookplate



No comments:

Post a Comment