Saturday, April 13, 2013

2nd Annual the Book Beautiful Edible Book & Tea

This year, I was a participant in the Book Beautiful's 2nd Annual Edible Book & Tea. I'm fairly certain that our tea was inspired by this event, held every year at the George A. Smathers Library at the University of Florida, as it seems to be the original edible book contest (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). 

My friend Max and I teamed up to create "Tor-Till-A Mockingbird", our twist on Harper Lee's classic novel To Kill a Mockingbird. We made cinnamon tortilla chips, fruit salsa, and chocolate mousse. Max and I actually won Best in Show! :)

All in all, it was an interesting experience, and it seems that everyone had a good time at the tea. I really enjoyed looking at everyone's books. They were all too pretty to destroy by eating! 

From my point of view, here are the pros and cons of this project:

PROS:

  • Different kind of assignment. Much better than writing a paper or taking an exam.
  • FOOD. Who doesn't love food?!
  • The tea was really nice. It was a nice, relaxing event amid all of the other schoolwork I had to do.
CONS:

  • Kind of expensive. Not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be, but still. It doesn't really cost anything to write a paper. Reminded me of how much money I had to spend on materials for my art projects in the ONE art class I've taken at Marshall, on top of the textbook (luckily, the textbook for this course was about 10 dollars).
  • Time! By this, I don't really mean that it took forever to do our project. It was just kind of a hassle, because with food, you can't do it way ahead of time, because you want it to be as fresh as possible. I knew we couldn't do any hot food, and we didn't want to make a cake, because we figured there would be a lot of cakes. We had to buy all of the produce and everything the day before the tea, and then make the food. With a paper, you can write it the day you get the assignment sheet, if you really want to. With this, you had to do it at the last minute, and it felt a little rushed. 
Here is a link to photos of our bookmaking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment